Thursday 16 October 2014

November 2013-The Hobbit & Sheridan's Ride


November 2013


The Hobbit


This was the second of the games played on the day, but by far the most vocal game.
However, I only took two pictures as I was at that time very heavily involved in my own tabletop game and keeping the grandson entertained (he had a great day).









---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sheridan's Ride


Mayfair Games
1981




This was the first game of the day and highly competitive and well played.
I will see if I can get the players to pen a few words.

Here are a few words:



A letter.
"To Mrs Therese Early;
My dear I write these few lines as a prisoner of General Sheridan. I have been slightly injured in the right arm, but I am being well cared for. 
By now you would have heard of our tragic loss at Cedar's Creek. After our last two defeats I thought that the Yankees would be careless. Our scouts bought information that the enemy camp at Cedar Creek was badly scattered with some brigades and divisions not in support of each other. Carefully we managed to get our force of three infantry divisions very close, with Wharton's Horse on the flank at Cedar Ford.
I must say we were successful at first. 
The Yankees were disorganized at first and were routed at my charge through their camp, screaming the Rebel yell. Prisoners were taken, and the enemy retreated, but they were soon forming up a defensive line.
Some Union artillery proved most stubborn, taking Kershaws' division out of our line for almost two hours before finally overcoming them. This cost us dear as we were outnumbered. Wharton had stormed the Ford but a large part of his force were cut off and taken prisoner. Showing great initiative the remainder under Col. Steve Thomas circled round through swampland and by the evening actually threatened the town of Middleton, our objective. This forced the Yankees to dispatch a large force to ward him off; after some lively skirmishes Col Thomas' force escaped the Yankee clutches, I am glad to say. We had been fighting since five and it was now one o’clock and our forces were now exhausted.
The Yankees were finally rallying and the fire was getting hotter. I must say our guns were well served, always supporting our attacks. Now alas! They are in enemy hands!
At about two o’clock in the afternoon we heard massive cheers from the enemy and we realized our old foe General Sheridan was arriving on the field. It was as if Marse Lee had appeared at my side, the effect Sheridan had on the Yankee army. I tried to hold the field at least till nightfall, but alas the odds were against us. As the faint hearts fled, heroes stayed and died with their faces to the foes. General Ramseur was killed commanding his troops, and general Kershaw was captured badly wounded in the left leg; pray he survives amputation! I was trying to rally Gordon’s' division, when my horse was killed and I fell. When I got up I was at the end of Yankee trooper’s pistol. With my wrist broken I could not draw my own, so now I am a guest of General Sheridan.
The general is what is called a “black Irishman” small with sallow skin, dark hair and dark eyes. He has supposed to have a short temper but has been the perfect gentleman to me and is allowing this letter to be sent to you by flag of truce to ease your concerns.
We have suffered great losses, 12,000 killed /wounded and captured, as well as all our guns. General Sheridan tells me he has lost 5,000 himself and right to the end he wondered would he drive us off by nightfall. Apparently most of Gordon’s' division and half of Wharton’s' escaped. Alas for our beloved Cause! Alas for my poor brave Army of the Valley! I fear my dear this cruel war will be over soon, and not to Virginias' advantage! I will be sent to Washington in a few days and as long as I give my parole, captivity should not be to onerous. Keep me in your prayers, as you will be in mine. Your loving husband, Jubal Early, late General commanding the Army of the Valley.












No comments:

Post a Comment